Sunday 2 December 2012

Gone


The redgum on Saturday, above and below.


A couple of days ago I wrote about some lovely old redgums in our park that the environment group was trying to save. According to council's consultant arborists, they posed a danger to the public and had to be cut down. The environment group's arborist disagreed. We hoped for at least a chance to put this latter view to council and present a petition. Though I was doubtful that these particular trees could be saved, I at least thought other views would be listened to and was encouraged in this belief by a councillor I rang about the situation.

A meeting was scheduled for this afternoon between some councillors and a representative of the environment group. Early this morning the loppers had already begun work. By this afternoon, when I passed by, the tree was a stump.

I admit to being a cynic, but surely the time frame of this suggests some questionable actions by someone in authority somewhere along the line.  Community consultation needs some work in our shire.

The redgum this morning.

 . . . and now.

No comments:

Post a Comment