Monday 11 March 2013

Green Gardening Meets Pragmatism




A few weeks ago I discovered, very painfully, numerous times, the presence of a paper wasp nest in the garden. My practice has always been to leave them alone. They are a valuable part of the garden's biodiversity: the adults feed on nectar and hunt caterpillars (many of which are larvae of garden pests) to feed their own larvae.

These wasps deliver an intensely painful sting when anyone gets too close to their nest and I had been stung several times without discovering the location of the nest. One night recently, I was watering at dusk when a clump of what I first thought to be a dried buddleia flowers caught my eye. Surprised that I had not noticed a flower cluster of that size before it dried out, I put my hand up to break it off the twig. I was centimetres away from it when it moved. A cluster of wasps. I don't think I had moved that fast for years, but I did avoid receiving multiple stings.



The location of the nest, dangling above a frequently used pathway made it a nuisance. However, I still might have left it alone and simply tried to avoid the area for a while if it was not for the fact that my young granddaughters were visiting for a few days. Visions of hysterical toddlers and possible allergic reactions to wasp stings persuaded me that, in this case, the wasps had to go.

I gave them some time to settle back around the nest I had disturbed them from and crept out with the can of insect spray. The wasps have gone. I do feel disappointed that I had to do it, but when the safety of children comes up against free pest control in the garden, pragmatism wins. I'm hoping next time paper wasps decide to make a home in my garden, it is in the bushy area furthest from the house.




1 comment: