Saturday 30 June 2012

What On Earth is a Pomelo?




Ten years ago we moved from a country property to a town block and I was keen to explore ideas for gardening in a smaller area. Multi-grafted fruit trees seemed like a great space-saving strategy and one of the trees I bought was a four-grafted citrus: orange, pomelo, lime and mandarin (I think). The latter has never produced any fruit so I'm sure I've lost it. The orange is very productive and the fruit is beautifully sweet. The lime is less productive, but worth having. The pomelo is super vigorous and productive and would take over completely if I didn't keep snipping branches off. The photo below shows the unusual shape of the fruit.



Unfortunately, we don't like the fruit. It is stringy, full of pips, thick-skinned, and I had written it off as bland in taste. Neither the limes nor the oranges have thick skins so I know it is not caused by environmental conditions. This year, faced with another bumper harvest of unwelcome pomelos. I decided to juice some. They are quite difficult to extract juice from because of the thick skin and stringy flesh, but, once you have enough to make a decent drink, it  is not at all bad. A bit like a cross between an orange and a grapefruit, with a twist of lemon. It's not my favourite juice, but it is free, fresh, quite drinkable once you make the effort, and I'm sure it is loaded with vitamin C.




Can one of the hundreds (600+) of readers of this blog, please tell me what the particular attraction is? Do you love pomelos? Why this blog when I think most of my other posts are much more interesting?

No comments:

Post a Comment